While my barrel is at the shop waiting to be cut down and threaded, I decided to attach the folding stock. After much hemming and hawing with a little bit of measuring, I took the wood saw to the stock. Pretty square cut for not having a vice and/or miter box.
Next, I drilled some pilot holes for the threaded wood inserts, starting with 1/8″ and slowly going up to 3/8″. The inserts went in well and should provide a decently strong anchor point for the folding stock to handle 7.62x54r recoil.
The ACE side folder installed nicely
I had to remove a little wood from the bottom edge and also contoured the sides as well. Here she is in all her bubba glory:
All that’s left now is getting my shortened barrel back, welding the front sight back on, and giving her a paint job. I was also thinking of installing a stubby Magpul vertical fore grip, I might as well at this point. I think it might help with operating the bolt, giving me a little more torque to break the action open. Until next update….