Well, the glorious STUPID carbine project is, unfortunately, on hold. I am so close to being done, this just sucks. In order to cut threads for the muzzle brake, a special tool is required to turn down the OD of the muzzle and to ensure that it will be concentric. This is a Muzzle cutting tool found on Dinzagarms. It has been ordered but there is a 2-4 week processing time from these guys who seem to be a small Mom and Pop type business, which is great and I am glad to give them my business. I should have checked with my shop when I started this project to ensure they had ALL the tools necessary. In the meantime, here is a shot of all the removed material from the Type 53 so far:
I have decided my next project is going to be a new upper for my AR chambered in 5.45x39mm. Ammo is still cheap and all I really need is a barrel and a new bolt. I plan on using shop leftovers for the hand guards and FSB. I had thought it would be super cool to use the chopped off type 53 stock to go over the buffer tube when the 5.45 upper is on it.
Really looking forward to seeing the completed project!
Thank you, I have all the tools with me now and tonight when I get home from work should see it completed.